Monday, May 17, 2010

Let Go and Let God

Last night was one of the most random nights that has taken place in a while and the place I landed was exactly where I needed to be. There are something about the cliffs in La Jolla that seem to take all your troubles away. As I sat there I thought 'does each wave that comes in and out wash something away'. I was sitting next to a friend and at that point she probably thought I was a little crazy. Each time I have just stood or sat on the cliffs I have had different thoughts come through my head. Last night was interesting because the waves that were crashing on the rocks seemed to become much bigger whenever we spoke of God. At first it was a joke, a big wave came and I said 'really God that was a little scary', but as time went on it became a little more real. You could call it coincidence but I saw it as God letting me know that He was right there and that there was no reason to be scared of anything. At that moment nothing really mattered, one reason I love standing on those cliffs. As we continued to sit there my mind continued to run as fast as it could to the point where I had to write in my phone what I was thinking at that exact moment. I knew that I wouldn't remember unless I wrote it down. This is what I wrote:


Sandcastle being wiped away by the waves. You can build a trench or wall to keep the water away so the castle won't be ruined but at some point the water rush will be too strong and the wall will come down and there will be nothing left. God works in a similar way.


The way I saw this playing out in my head was that our lives are built in this sandcastle. As children we are taught build a trench with a wall around the sandcastle so when the waves hit the sandcastle will stay untouched. We would spend hours trying to make this trench and wall work the best we could and spent so much time perfecting the sandcastle. When what we built failed to protect the sandcastle, it broke our hearts and we felt like we wasted all our time. Maybe this isn't the case for you but as I sat on the rocks of the cliff watching the water rush in and out, that was the idea that came through my mind. You can build a wall to attempt to keep everyone out, including God, but at some point that wall will become too weak and a rush of things will come through. It's talked about so often that once you completely fall and have nothing, that then you can build back up again. I saw that idea a little differently last night in a sense of if that wall isn't up and the water is able to wash things away then let it happen. Each wave of situations that rush up on each of us is a chance for things of the past to be washed away. If we set up a wall the process is longer and more painful because at some point the only thing left is to completely crumble. If the trench and wall aren't built all or some of the sandcastle is washed away. Same thing with our lives, God would like to wash things away little by little but we tend to not listen until something dramatic takes place, at least that's usually how it is for me. Surrendering our lives to Gods plan and accepting the difficult situations that present themselves in our daily lives is key to allowing God to "fix" us. God isn't trying to hurt us or ruin our lives, He just wants to build us up and make us better so that we can better serve Him.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am...strong." (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

This verse has really been on my heart lately and the reason behind that is because of some difficult situations that have been presented to me in the last few days. Reading this verse makes everything seem so much easier. Allowing God to bring us down so that He can bring us back up is so important in our lives. Trying to block Him out or block the people around you out that care about you isn't the way to go. We need to let the waves crash over our lives and as they return back to the ocean allow the waves to take pieces of your past or even the present that need to go. If things are difficult then stop looking at the situation and only viewing it as difficult. Really stop and ask God what He wants to fix in your life or what things you need to change. God doesn't make our lives difficult without a purpose. He loves us enough to fix us. He is one person that truly knows who we are and what we are about but doesn't want to leave us that way because He knows we deserve better. So with all that said, let go of the person you think you are or want to be and let God transform you into the person He wants because there is nothing better than that. God just wants our lives to be centered around Him!

1 comment:

  1. Taylor!!! I loved it!! I love the ocean, I don't swim or go in it too much, but I love watching it, and I can't help but think about God while I am there, its great.. thanks for sharing!! love you!

    ReplyDelete